Thursday, January 8, 2009

one taste of onetaste

After a long separation over the holidays, Molly and I had a lot of catching up to do; how much Wii we played, how much food we ate, how desperately we missed each other.

“I have so much to tell you!” I exclaimed. “I got this can opener shaped like a tucan!”

“Cool!” She exclaimed. “I had lunch with my cousin, and she was telling me about this kooky sex cult she’s in!”

I had to hear more about this so-called sex cult, this OneTaste. Long story short, Molly and I decided, I think partly on a “new year, new experiences!” kind of whim, to accept her cousin’s invitation to attend one of OneTaste’s “ingroup” meetings, which the official website describes as “weekly introductory evening[s] of games and connection.” And no sex stuff, I was assured. I decided to give it a try; after all, I needed something to write about in my new blog.

Molly and I arrived at the Little-Italy-based OneTaste headquarters early and met up with her cousin. We ordered Chinese and sat in the OneTaste common area while said cousin told us a little more about the group.

Essentially, OneTaste is kind of like any other new-agey, community-based organization. Out-there, maybe; harmless, certainly; THE answer? not for me. According to the web site, "OneTaste is an experiential inquiry in to the nature of unconditional freedom." More specifically, members are on a kind of unified search for truth in emotional relationships as well as physical ones, including their relationship with their own identities and bodies. Orgasmic Meditation, or "oming," sessions are a big part of the full OneTaste experience. They revolve around the female orgasm, reached tantric-style through a parter's stroking of the upper-left quadrant of the clitoris. Yeah, I don't know. There are also weekend "body courses" and "intimate intensives." But in the interest of space and accurate presentation, I'll stick to the side of OneTaste I've experienced.

When it was time for the meeting to start, we gathered in a room that, quite frankly, seemed more suited for a Mary Kay party than a cult meeting. I don't know what I expected—mysterious sex apparatuses? A Kool-Aid dispenser?--but the room was modestly furnished with a semicircle of folding chairs, some floor pillows, and a couple of lamps. The aesthetic: Crate-and-Barrel-sparse. Also, they were playing Shania Twain.

As the participants gathered, it hit me that I had little idea what exactly I had gotten myself into. I looked around at the twenty-five or so faces surrounding me. The majority of them were young, probably in their mid-twenties, but there were some middle-aged and older adults there too. There was a french guy, and an older Jewish woman who very Jewishly complained about the temperature of the room throughout the session. We were a motley crew.

The meeting was lead by an attractive redheaded woman, who welcomed new and returning members and gave a brief description of how the evening would unfold. Pretty much the entire session revolves around the playing of three, well, games.

During “one mind,” the facilitator began a sentence that each group member had to finish in succession around the circle. “Hot seat” lived up to its name; one person at a time answered a string of related questions asked by their fellow onetasters, who had to say “thank you” after their question was answered. “Blow your cover” was structured similarly; each attendee had his turn in the spotlight, during which their true self was supposedly revealed by other people around the room sharing their sometimes curious perceptions of that person ("you put on a smile so no one sees you cry.") And, of course, after each observation is made, the blowee says, “thank you.”

Are you rolling your eyes? I probably would be too. At ingroup, though, a funny thing happened to my jaded, judgmental, just-here-for-the-spectacle attitude. These were strangers who cared about what each other had to say, who were working towards a common goal that they hope will make them happy. And I think there’s something in that to be revered, or at least respected, albeit from the comfort of my own familiar way of existing. Needless to say, I will not be joining the Onetaste community any time in the foreseeable future.

So what is it about Onetaste that is a novelty to me and the answer for others? For me, the anonymity between my fellow participants and me was a dealbreaker. I didn’t know them, and somehow felt they hadn’t earned the right to know how I like to be touched (and, likewise, I hadn’t earned the right to burden them with that information). Of course, many of those that are members get to know each other quite well (am I right?!), but something about the sharing of intimate details just for the sake of sharing them, and NOT as a function of shared experiences or the natural unfolding of a friendship, didn’t sit well with me. I think it’s possible that some join because they are lonely, or feel they need such structured, predictable fulfillment of their emotional needs. Others are probably more open to finding truth in the fringes of what the general public considers to be reasonable.

And you know there’s gotta be chicks that are only in it for the strokes.


Thank you.

31 comments:

  1. I don't think its fair to talk about these brave people like they're "weird" or "freaky". They've chosen to walk a different path, one that leads to mind-blowing, earth-shattering explosive sexual ecstasy.

    If that's wrong, well, then I don't want to be right. Shame on the media for harassing these people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except they truely are weird and freaky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL ..... yr being nice!

      bastards really.....

      Delete
  3. They are only as weird and freaky as you are. (you're just keeping your oddities a secret...) Depends on how you define "weird and freaky" anyway. Also depends on what you are used to. For example, go hang out at a nude hot springs. At first it feels freaky, but after a while you get accustomed to it, by the end of the day, it's no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally different !

      what they do is NOT no big deal
      its so manipulative + unethical

      Delete
  4. one word: cult. and you know who else promises some earth-shattering experience? every goddamn cult ever in existence! that is the first technique of mindfucking someone. promise them something amazing and mind-blowing. Salvation, miracle! with each cult it's the same crap, different name. sometimes it's called "om". or "awakening". or "clear." or with the pyramind-scheme cults "unlimited income". in short, it's always some quick, instant access to "happiness," something unwordly. all you need is a gullible mind and some money and-voila!- all the pleasure you've ever dreamed of is at your fingertips. bullshit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a well written review. It's honest and made me laugh a few times. The last line is hysterical. I appreciate how the author says she can see the appeal and yet its not for her. The article is beautifully balanced and honest. I've dabbled in this practice of orgasmic meditation for many years. Although I have my issues with some of Onetaste's perspectives, I can tell you that the actual practice that they teach called orgasmic meditation is effective. Think about this logically. Who in the world puts this much directed attention on the clitoris? Scientifically speaking the clitoris has 8,000 nerve endings. The penis does not have this many. Stimulate the clitoris gently and directly in repeated daily sessions(sometimes a few times a day) and the woman's arousal increases. I can tell you first hand that it increased the intensity of my climaxes tremendously. The answer to your question is yes the members of the community or anyone who goes to their events on a regular basis gets to know each other very well. Thanks for this refreshing and funny blog. -Casandra

      Delete
  5. Thank you for writing this. I have been dating someone for some time now and I feel like the only thing that is holding me back...is she goes to one taste weekly. I feel like they make it all about sex connection. Sex is easy...what about a connection with life!!! I feel like she is sucked into a cult like group and when I tell her how I feel it causes a fight (only time we fight) I don't know what to do!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not about sex, she likely doesn't climax- that's not what it's about. I bet that she wishes you would share the experience with her. If she hasn't brought it up, it could be she is afraid to find out that you won't give her that 15 minutes without trying to make it sexual for yourself. I think it's weird, people are kind, I can see how it somewhat cult appearing. I am in it for the strokes, but so is the stroker.

      Delete
    2. ITS TOTALLY A CULT

      drag her out / save her now

      serious !

      Delete
    3. ANON : whatever creeper who likes to watch listen to strangers come in the same room in PUBLIC ooooh so cool stroker dude wtf

      Delete
  6. I don't want anyone piddling my girl's fiddle! Free love ended in the 70's right? The result rarely turned into a meaningful and direct connection with another human. My friend just went to a weekend rustic one taste retreat (4 to a bunk room- meals included plus some yoga classes) $1295 - Sounded more like an orgy that the madam makes some serious coin on ! Can we get a one taste for men? I recommend we call it "One Jerk" (although it could take many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is an orgy a pagan religious orgy in disguise with pschic vampires lurking at each other so FRIEND- ILY..... they are so fucked and everyone should be extremely concerned of the terrible boundaries and healing HOAX they are..... wait and see ..... they will implode from their creepiness soon enough ..... the head guru chicks dad even went to prison for pedophilia.... its so classic

      Delete
  7. I think it's fascinating how so many of you are willing to label and judge something that
    1) you don't seem to fully understand
    2) scares you
    No one is twisting your arm to go to these sessions. You always have a choice. I am a therapist and a successful small business owner. I am well loved and well-respected in my community. I am also very attractive. (Just sayin'). In other words, I am not "weird, needy, fringy, culty, strange, or polyamorous." One Taste is a "practice," like yoga or meditation (that's right--just because it involves the clitoris doesn't make it weird or strange). I have been attending Turn On sessions and am amazed and delighted by the openness and authenticity of the very different people who attend these sessions and who practice OM. Remember, an open mind is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the "Turn On Sessions" are amazing, delightful, and "open"--They exist to lure you in and get you on the hook for their "seminars" and "training sessions," where you can learn more about their techniques -- and have the distinct privilege of parting with Thousands & Thousands of dollars in the process!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I think its fascinating how in denial u are and how TYPICAL it is 4 cult members to be in denial..... we understand it PLENTY ..... been there done that and NOT scared : AWARE.... yes u are a therapist : A BAD ONE.... and who announces they are attractive ? vain bimbos YES ! .... remember a too open mind is a VERY dangerous thing.... yr LACK of awareness about inappropriate boundaries is ASTOUNDING where'd u get yr liscence university of the playboy mansion? it should be revoked .....onetaste IS NOT like yoga or Buddhism AT ALL .... they are spiritual posers and they are all the more sleazy 4 it..... they are a hedonism cult and every bit as dangerous as doing drugs... they are exploiting people with PSEUDO authenticity..... using hyper friendliness as a lure 4 vulnerable people..... have a nice beautiful sad day

      Delete
  8. These Onetaste people are nuts. Gross, creepy people who need psychotherapy. The people who 'earn' these teaching certificates to teach the demented practice of 'Oming' think they ate sex therapists, and try to charge people for counseling. This should be illegal. It's a sex cult, and they want money, and minds. Fing gross place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU 4 SPEAKING OUT !
      bastards complete brainwash polite rape training (TM) ;)

      Delete
  9. Nicole Daedone (founder of OneTaste) has figured out a great money-making formula. Her genius is in convincing the women that getting their clitori(?) stroked by hungry, desperate men will somehow help them. This assures her the supply of eager vaginae. Then she turns around and charges the men for the privilege of diddling these women for 13 minutes.

    Ladies: having a stranger stroke your clit for 13 minutes is not going to solve your emotional problems. It won't slay your demons. It will only make Nicole richer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that chick..... she reeks of sleaze like Hugh Heffner.... its so obvi shes like a james bond villain.... LOL....she just cant hide it..... yer goin down sweetheart

      Delete
  10. Some people are givers, some are takers. Unless you're a masochist, you won't get involved with a taker. To love is to give, of course, but it has to be a two-way street. Takers are selfish, self-lovers. They can never love and give enough to raise a family, so they just drift from one pleasure or experience to another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well did the blogger take off her pants and butterfly her legs? If not inauthentic assessment. As a survivor of sexual assault, abuse and years of PTSD, this works better than any drug hurled at me, any support group o went to, - the only thing close was yoga. I still think the concept is weird, but understand it is my discomfort with a paradigm shift that I am actually allowed pleasure. No sex happens- no climax.; it's like a sex high without lust. I feel it not in my sexual organs, but in my chest. I can access any time by recalling the feeling and my body releases chemicals to bring me to that place of peace and euphoria. Should have tried it, at least twice. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG SHES TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YR TRAUMA AND POOR BOUNDARIES PATTERN AND VULNERABILITY !

      Delete
  12. "older Jewish woman who very Jewishly complained about the temperature of the room" - um, wow. just no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your "um, wow. just no" is referring to the inappropriate, jarring nature of reading this lil' nugget o' racism in the midst of what was otherwise an effective, well-written essay, I agree.

      Delete
  13. Yesterday I joined meet up and as I browsed through groups in my area I ran across the group you blogged about. What didn't sit well with me is that on the meet up description they make this group seem interesting without really explaining exactly what you will be doing they just briefly tell you the groups purpose somewhat. Reading your blog makes me feel like I'd be out of place and feel uncomfortable if I were to go. If I went and they were doing what you said knowing me I'd excuse myself from the group lol btw thanks for writing this, it was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY they are so sneaky infiltrating the "safety" already poor boundaries of meetup now and pretending to just be holistic healers SUCH A JOKE ! MEETUP is almost as dangerous as craigslist now..... filled with the weirdest shit imaginable,,,,,so fucking random..... no policing of their sites / ripe 4 sex predators

      Delete
  14. These games are 're-branded' from several popular self-help seminar companies you've hear of before. The brilliant difference? Sex. Now THAT'S the something new that puts the sizzle back into an 'old steak.'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice article! I was surprised when I got lured into a phone conversation sales spiel with high-pressure tactics. I just wanted to sign up for a regular class, but did you know Nicole will ONLY be doing week and two-week intensive courses. A fourteen day one will cost $36,000 according to the Orgasm Salesman named Jamarr...ugh.

    ReplyDelete